On May 22, 2020, the U.S. Department of Commerce’s Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) announced that it will add 33 Chinese companies and institutions to the Entity List. The designations will prohibit the export, re-export, or in-country transfer of items subject to the Export Administration Regulations (EAR).
The new round of additions comes less than a month after BIS issued new export control rules targeted at commercial companies, especially within China, that do business with military agencies (discussed here). Previously, in October 2019, BIS added 28 Chinese public security bureaus and companies to the Entity List on the basis of their alleged roles in human rights violations against Muslim minorities in Xinjiang.
Of the 33 new additions, 24 are governmental and commercial organizations based in China, Hong Kong, and the Cayman Islands targeted for “supporting procurement of items for military end-use in China.” The remaining nine entities consist of eight commercial entities and the People’s Republic of China’s Ministry of Public Security’s Institute of Foreign Science for being “complicit in human rights violations and abuses committed in China’s campaign of repression, mass arbitrary detention, forced labor and high-technology surveillance against Uighurs, ethnic Kazakhs, and other members of Muslim minority groups in the Xinjiang Uighur Autonomous Region (XUAR).”
There is no affirmative indication that the new jurisdictional rules announced last week (discussed here) will apply to these new listing; however, this will be confirmed when the Federal Register notice is published. The additions to the Entity List are as follows:
Designations Related to Alleged Military Activities
- Beijing Cloudmind Technology Co., Ltd.
- Beijing Computational Science Research Center
- Beijing Jincheng Huanyu Electronics Co., Ltd.
- Center for High Pressure Science and Technology Advanced Research
- Chengdu Fine Optical Engineering Research Center
- China Jiuyuan Trading Corporation
- Cloudminds (Hong Kong) Limited
- Cloudminds Inc.
- Harbin Chuangyue Technology Co., Ltd.
- Harbin Engineering University
- Harbin Institute of Technology
- Harbin Yun Li Da Technology and Development Co., Ltd.
- JCN (HK) Technology Co. Ltd.
- K Logistics (China) Limited
- Kunhai (Yanjiao) Innovation Research Institute
- Peac Institute of Multiscale Science
- Qihoo 360 Technology Co. Ltd.
- Qihoo 360 Technology Company
- Shanghai Nova Instruments Co., Ltd.
- Sichuan Dingcheng Material Trade Co., Ltd.
- Sichuan Haitian New Technology Group Co. Ltd.
- Sichuan Zhonghe Import and Export Trade Co., Ltd.
- Skyeye Laser Technology Limited
- Zhu Jiejin
Designations Related to Alleged Support of Human Rights Violations
- China’s Ministry of Public Security’s Institute of Forensic Science
- Aksu Huafu Textiles Co.
- CloudWalk Technology
- FiberHome Technologies Group and the subsidiary Nanjing FiberHome Starrysky Communication Development
- NetPosa and the subsidiary SenseNets